Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Story from the Practicum

It took me a while to post this to my blog. Nevertheless, here it goes.

The title of my story is "School Advisors"

I did not have a good story to tell about my practicum that included students and student-teachers interaction. Now, that might be good, if we look at it as "no news, good news." On the other hand, there were a few happenings that concerned my school advisors.

During my interview with my Faculty Advisor, Katharine Borgen, I was informed that my two school advisors were going to be Seema and Tanya. Then my FA asked me whether I taught Computer Science as well as math. I informed her that no. She then responded to me that she knew Seema and that in fact she knew that Seema was not teaching any other subject this year except CS. So most likely I would have to be assigned to another SA. When I got to the school, Seema asked another teacher, right then and there, if he wanted to have a student teacher. His name is Greg and he accepted. Tanya, he informed me, was on "mat leave," but was due to come back next week. So I worked for the first week with Greg by observing some of his classes and teaching a few. On the next week, I got to meet Tanya. She just came back from Mat leave and asked me if I was willing to teach a class for her. That was Tuesday, and on Wednesday I taught a class. It went relatively well. On that same day, the SAs and Student teachers met with the FA. Katharine told us that we needed to balance the classes so that none of us student teachers would get too many preps. So it ended up being that I would not work with Tanya nor Seema, but Esther, a teacher that I had only observed on a couple of classes, and Greg.

I think that my practicum is going to go well. I like both of my SA's and they seem to be very supportive. Greg gave me very specific feedback, which was something I was expecting from the practicum.

No comments:

Post a Comment