Sunday, September 20, 2009

Homework Assignment 1

Summary of my Peers Evaluation



My fellow classmates wrote many positive comments and a few suggestions for my microteaching lesson. They all agreed that the learning objective - how to play Texas Hold'em - was clear. Most agreed that there was a "hook" in my lesson, however, there is a comment suggesting that I should have spent more time introducing the game. For the rest of the checklist, my fellow students agree that there was a pretest, a participatory activity, a check-in on learning and a summary/conclusion.

The most prevalent strength of my lesson was that it was "fun" and that "everyone participated."

On the areas where I need further work and development, my classmates have suggested that I spend more time explaining the rules of the game and that the chips that I brought for the game were not enough.




My Own Evaluation

I thought that the things that went well in my lesson were that I was calm and that the students learned how to play the game and had fun while doing so.

If I were to teach this lesson again, I would be better prepared with more chips. I would also be more organized when explaining the ranking of the hands in Texas Hold'em, and I would also spend more time explaining the system of placing bets.

I also think that presenting this topic might require more time than ten minutes --I could not get them to play by themselves without my guidance.

The things I relfected on based on my peers' feedback were that I went too fast through the introduction of the game. I think I forgot to mention basic things about the game, such as the fact that it is very similar to poker, that you need a deck of cards to play it, and that you can use chips to bet. I think I could have paced my lesson more so that instead of playing four times, we could have actually all played less times, but with everyone knowing how to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment