Monday, September 21, 2009

Two of my Most Memorable Math Teachers

My most memorable math teacher was Alejandro "Baldor" Mendoza. Thanks to him I learned algebra. The reason I liked him was because he would talk to us and would not read from the textbook. He explained things in way that we could understand. He was very patient. Also, he could talk about things other than math, if it was appropriate.

The other teacher I remember was a high school math teacher. She would not explain much. Instead, she would have us all copying definitions and procedures from the blackboard. I did not understand and I also missed one class and instead of being helped out, I was sent to the office and got in trouble.

These two characters pretty much frame the two sides of what is wrong and what is right when teaching math. That is why I chose to write about them. A wrong thing to do would be to separate math (subject) from people (teacher and students). I think that you have to find a way to approach your students and make it personal. If a student gets behind, he should be reinforced to get back on track, not sent to the office and get in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment